Thursday, October 14, 2010

sometimes they aren't just pets...

Last night as I scrolled through my Facebook news feed I came across an incredible snippet of raw emotion, empathy and humanity. I found myself crying over my iphone as I watched "Last Minutes with ODEN". In this teaser from a yet to be released documentary from PHOS pictures director Eliot Rausch follows recovering addict and ex con Jason Wood through the incredibly heartbreaking experience of putting his dog Oden to sleep.

Poignant voice overs and beautiful footage describe Oden as much more than just your average dog. Oden has become as symbol of hope for many of Jason's friends who come to live on his couch as they try and turn their lives around. The video pretty much speaks for itself and I would recommend you watch this in private (or even better with some understanding loved ones!) as you will probably shed a few tears.

I couldn't help but feel a little more connected to the human race as I got out bed this morning with Jason's perspective that "God is love and Love is God". A philosophy he credits Oden in teaching him.


Last Minutes with ODEN from phos pictures on Vimeo.


Notes on the Film:
Oden's struggle with cancer finally came to an end.
May he rest in peace and his memory be eternal.

Canon 7D

Directed/Edited: Eliot Rausch
Director of Photography: Luke Korver, Matt B. Taylor
Song: Big Red Machine / Justin Vernon + Aaron Dessner

A story from the 8 LIVES Documentary.
For more of Jason Wood's story from 3 years ago
see http://vimeo.com/14047489

0 comments:

Post a Comment