Friday, July 30, 2010

And a new journey begins...


Sitting down with my Coke Zero to blog for the first time in a week feels good. It's been a great week. For the first time in god knows how long I had a week without fatigue. Last Saturday with friends and family in town I finally took a long awaited plunge into exercise. In March after I spent $200 at the running store I was side lined by the harsh reality that I was simply to fat to start running. My shins would literally ache to the point where walking was excruciating the next day.

I opted instead four months ago to commit to comfortable walks a few times a week and a healthy diet plan. I started Weight Watchers and lost 35 pounds. So last Saturday when my wife, brother in law, and an old college pal put on their running gear I was feeling a little left out. At the last minute I threw on my Asic Gel Kayano 15's (upgraded with shock absorbing insoles mind you) and said I would tag along. Of course I couldn't handle the 7 mile trek the others were setting off on, but maybe I could make it a mile or two.

As we stretched at the park I couldn't help but feel out of place, but I mimicked the motions of my companions and tried to act like all the other "in shape" people at the park. Hitting start on my RunKeeper iphone app I took off behind Katie and company. I managed to tag along for a little while and they would glance back giving the thumbs up. By the half mile mark I could tell they were proud expecting me to have choked by then. My phone read 12:30/mile pace and I began to let them get away. As I approached the mile mark they disappeared into the trails ahead probably just getting warm. I wasn't upset though. I had accomplished something. I had run continuously for 15 minutes.

After our guest left town on Sunday we went out again. This time just Katie and I for 1.5 miles. We ran for 20 minutes continuously and walked back to the car. I felt great. I felt like a million bucks. Monday I went to the psychiatric hospital downtown and facilitated a 12 step meeting for some of the patients there. Volunteer work always feels great. On the way home I itched to run even though I had planned a rest day. I got home and rushed out at 8:30 for another 1.5 miles and did it faster than the day before. I felt amazing!

Tuesday I went to work and relaxed, but Wednesday I got up early before work (Who the hell is this guy!!!) and went out in the scorching heat for another run. I felt great all night at work thumbing through the pages of a Runners World at work dreaming of running the Boston Marathon one day. Thursday was a rest day and then Friday morning after working graveyard Katie and I took a walk down to Starbucks. I jokingly asked if she wanted to run back to the house as we left the coffee shop and she took off! As we got to the mile mark I felt a burst of energy like a high and lengthened my stride. This was definitely my most comfortable run yet. "Your gonna make me run fast you little speed demon." Katie shouted. "We've got to catch the Kenyans!" I joked as I ran my first time at a sub 10 minute/mile pace. Our dog Jack darted along his nose just behind me nearly tripping me several times as we turned towards the house.

When we got home I took a hot shower and updated my Facebook status bragging about my run, just before icing my hurting shins. Sleep came easy. I can honestly say I feel better this week than i have in at least two years. I had a brush with vegetarianism in 2007 where I was in pretty good shape (for a fat guy) and I felt pretty stellar back then. I'm back at that level again I think. It's amazing what can happen when we let ourselves go. I can't believe I almost got to 300 pounds (Started WW at 297 lbs), but it's also amazing that in just four months I've got myself back on track for greatness. I'm hoping this week is merely the beginning of a climb towards being in the best shape of my life.

It's funny three weeks ago I was bitching on the blog about how I needed to do this and Saturday probably out of a little jealously I just stormed out there and followed my pals down the path. It feels good to have my first week behind me. Each run has gotten a little easier and the energy stays with you all day hanging around like a good buzz.

My first race will be Thanksgiving day at the Turkey Trot 5k. I'm pumped. Here's to feeling good!

mellow

0 comments:

Post a Comment