Saturday, March 5, 2011

Make that body happy...

I wanted to post something positive today so I thought I would post a recipe for the morning smoothie that has been a staple in my weigh loss journey. I just made it to the 50 pound mark this week and this is how I start every day.

Try this...

~3-4 servings fruit

I use frozen mixed berries, some cherries and strawberries. Then I add a large banana and a can of dole pineapple chunks with juice.

~ A little yogurt

This past week I used 4 oz cups of Greek yogurt b/c they were on sale. But soy yogurt is great if you are vegan. Any low fat option will do.

~1/2 a cup milk

2% or skim will do fine, but I've been using soy and almond milk lately. You could use juice too if you were feeling tropical!

~ A handful of spinach, chard or any green leafy stuff.

You can omit this ingredient if you want, but a little agave or maple syrup will cover the taste of the greens and this way you can start your day with a serving of leafy veggies in addition to your massive amount of fruit. Your immune system with thank me!

Try a piece of whole grain bread or an english muffin with a little bit of flax seed oil to round out this super quick breakfast.

You can take this to the meditation cushion, the yoga mat or in the the car with you if you are running late. There is no excuse to miss out on a great breakfast. Everyone has time!

~mellow





2 comments:

Katie said...

What's so great about this breakfast is that you hit every food group and some with multiple servings! Perfect way to begin the day. Looking forward to more foodie posts from you!

Jenna said...

Congrats on hitting the 50 mark!!! What a great feeling that must be. Your breakfast looks delicious!

Post a Comment