Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Less is so much more...

Sitting down to do a few odds and ends tonight.  Balance the check book, puff on a cigar and do a little spring cleaning on the blog.  I hope you all enjoy the new layout.  Trying to get it as zen as possible.  Had an incredible night with friends as we watched an old classic thriller. Arachnophobia.  Jeff Bridges at his finest, running from that monster spider trying to take over his little town. Listening to latest shenanigans from Radiohead, it dawns on me lately how much better life is this last year as I've reeled in a few loose ends. 
  • Less foolishness with our money leads to way less stress
  • Less time fooling around on distracting message boards leads to more time reading constructive blogs
  • Less time stuck in my head leads to more time attentive to my awesome wife and dog
  • Less terrible food has led to a leaner, lighter and happier me
  • Less grasping at enlightenment leads to more time feeling fulfilled in this incredible human experience
When I look at the results of chopping out all the excess it makes me smile. I think this is why monks and preists take on monastic life. If you have fewer possessions there is nothing to cling to! I'm finally enrolled in school and working (slow but steady) toward a degree in a very rewarding field. I'm thrilled to clock in at the hospital and help my patients...even the grumpy ones.

But the most important achievement has been just letting go a little more each day.  Sure there have been some days where my old uptight and neurotic self has returned, but for the most part I am living life in a much more humbled and content fashion.  The biggest take away has been that if you set lower expectations that can actually be met you don't have to deal with the nagging resentment of having outrageous expectations that never get met!

Expecting lavish and romantic dinners is replaced with simple chats over coffee and tea.  Looking forward to that glutinous vacation is replaced by being satisfied with that quick flight home to see loved ones.  The people who matter and teach us the most...and for all those family and friends I am so grateful.  I'm heading home this weekend to see my grandma who has deteriorated quite a bit mentally, but knowing she is in good spirits and well taken care of by supportive family members makes me happy. All in all everything is as it should be...and it always will be. Cuz it is what it is...

mellow











0 comments:

Post a Comment